Saturday 27 April: workshops
The Pleasance, 60 The Pleasance, Edinburgh EH8 9TJ
All tickets £8/£6 per workshop. Booking information here
Choose 1 of the 2 options per time slot. (Children aged 9+ are able to attend workshops, as long as they are at the level specified and accompanied by an adult.)
- Norwegian Tunes & Accompaniment (Rav, Ellen & Jocelyn): Learn a tune (or two), discussing the dance rhythms & explore accompaniment options. For all melody & accompaniment instruments – Intermediate level upwards. OR
- Swedish Songs (Caolmhar): No prior knowledge of Swedish required. For all including beginners.
- Faroe Islands Songs (Kata): No prior knowledge of Faroese required. For all including beginners. OR
- Cape Breton-Scottish Tunes, Connections & Accompaniment (Jocelyn, Ellen & Rav): Learn a tune (with bowing & ornamentation), discus the Scottish/Cape Breton connection, then focus on rhythmic and chordal accompaniment. For all melody & accompaniment instruments – Intermediate level upwards.
- Swedish Tunes & accompaniment (Caolmhar): Learn some of the tunes we’ll be hearing and dancing to in the evening. For all melody & accompaniment instruments – Intermediate level upwards. OR
- Scottish/Cape Breton Step Dance & Playing for Dancing (Jocelyn, Ellen & Rav): Learn some step dance steps, discus how step dancing relates to the music, and how to play for step dancers. For all melody & accompaniment instruments – Intermediate level upwards and for all dancers – including beginners
4.30-6.00pm Sharing session with all invited guest performers and participants to get a chance to share what they have learnt from the workshops and performances. (Free with any workshop, concert or weekend ticket).
NEW! FREE Family Music Taster Workshop
Sat 27 April 10-11.15am
A free workshop for all the family to have a taste of the music, song and dance of the Faroe Islands (up in the North Sea) with the group Kata who sing old folk story songs with beautiful harmonies.
Please note all children attending must be accompanied by an adult throughout the workshop. It would also be appreciated if you could book the relevant number of places to make sure we have the right sized room for the number of people attending – thanks!
Thanks to support from the Edinburgh Old Town Development Trust (EOTDT) & City of Edinburgh Council Southside/Newington Community Grants & Local Events fund
For details about the tutors please click through to the artist page here